Monday, April 2, 2012

Vacation 2012 - Day 3

Day 3 started with me sleeping in and no breakfast. I ate a Belvita which is a 230 calorie nutritional cookie while the rest of my family had eggs, toast and cereal.

Then we packed up and headed to Clingman's Dome. It was a half mile hike up the mountain at a 45 degree angle the entire way and it was packed with people. My brother had my almost 30 pound nephew on his back the entire way and my sister-in-law had a backpack that was probably about 30 pounds and they both smoked me up the mountain with my 7 year old nephew. My dad and I lagged behind and rested at each bench along the way and I made a few additional stops resting against a rock or tree along the way. So basically, I'm about as healthy as a 74 year old, non-athletic, senior citizen. As least I made it to the top. My sister quit right before it finally leveled out right before you get to the observation tower. I used to love Clingman's Dome when I was little but I don't remember it being so steep, although it did seem like a shorter trek for some reason.

My parents at the bottom of Clingman's Dome.

My dad at the top of Clingman's Dome.
My brother and nephew in the observation tower at Clingman's Dome.
View from Clingman's Dome.
View from Clingman's Dome.
View from Clingman's Dome.

They had a little souvenir shop at the bottom, but I only found one magnet with Clingman's Dome printed on it. Everything else had Smokey Mountain National Park. Anyway, I bought my first souvenir for my vacation.

When we were done, my brother and his family headed to the indoor miniature golf place and then the candy shop in downtown Gatlinburg. My parents, sister and I headed to the grocery store and then took naps until my brother and family got back. I made hard-boiled eggs in my new toy, The Egg Genie, which turned out great and we then turned the eggs into deviled eggs. I free handed the recipe and I'm not sure they came out right even though everyone said they did.  Later, my mom made tacos for dinner but I didn't get any because I slept through dinner.

We spent the rest of the night watching Kentucky beat Kansas for the NCAA championship. Anthony Davis is my mom's favorite player. She loves his uni brow and that he loves his mama.

The stressful part of today was that we got news that one of my parent's dogs is having a tough time at the kennel. He ate and drank the first night, but when my parents didn't show up to pick him up the next day he stopped eating and hadn't eaten, pooped or peed since Saturday. He's in a special cage to begin with because he's a little scary when he feels threatened and he's feeling threatened right now. My mom and the kennel staff decided to put my parent's other dog in the same kennel as Bogey. Dora has helped Bogey get more comfortable. They are sleeping on a quilt from home together and Bogey finally peed. Hopefully he'll continue to relax with Dora's help and all will be well.

I haven't gotten very far into Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter, so maybe I'll have more on that tomorrow.

No comments: