Monday, March 22, 2010

It was a crazy week!

Okay, it's been a while since I blogged. When I write my blog, I try to stay away from any work specific details, but I feel like I need to write about why I went into a little blogging funk and I have to mention work specifically because that's what it was about. On Tuesday, March 9, my company decided to close the boat I've worked on for the last 5 years.

In December 2007, my company opened a $500 million dollar casino about two blocks up the street from my casino. At the time, there was a $500 loss limit and unlimited casino licenses in the state. In November of 2008, state law changed and the $500 loss limit went away, but a cap was put on casino licenses at 13. This included the 12 casinos in existence and the casino my company was building about 15 minutes away from my casino. In early spring 2009, the Missouri Gaming Commission (MGC) started asking questions about what my company was going to be doing with my property since our revenues were getting scary low and the upkeep of my casino was sub-standard in their opinion. The revenues were a concern to the MGC because the casinos pay taxes to the city and state and with revenue declining the state wasn't getting their money and the cap on licenses meant they couldn't get the money anywhere else. There was a lot of blah, blah, blah at this point and then in March 2010, my company opened their brand new casino. A week later they announced they were giving up their fight to keep my casino's license.

I'm luckier than most because they've made room for me at the other area properties and I've been assured of that since the rumors first started getting serious last year. The only real difference for me is that instead working in my one tiny cave of an office, I'll be sharing my time between two properties with a cubicle in a group of cube-farms at each place. On one hand this is great because I'll be forced to be more social, but on the other hand I get very uncomfortable leaving my back exposed to people sneaking up on me or looking over my shoulder. (Everyone is so freaking nosy (including me)!) Another positive is I'll be more likely to get a raise and go to conferences. My current property just didn't have the budget for either of those things for anyone. On the negative side, I've had so much fun working here and worked with a lot of great people. I worry about what is going to happen to them and I'm sad to see our time end. Companies talk crap about work being just like another family and usually that is just a bunch of meaningless PR speak, but at The President, this was the closest I ever came to thinking that might have a glimmer of truth.

So, that's why I went into an emotional tail-spin for about a week and just didn't want to talk/write about it to anyone, except my closest friends and family, until I had emotionally processed it. But after that week was up, my lack of blogging was pure laziness on my part.

The other big thing that week was Corey Haim died on Wednesday, March 10!



I can't say I was a Corey Haim fan. The only two movies I remember him in was "Lost Boys" and "License to Drive", but he and Corey Feldman are weirdly tied to my childhood memories and the loss of him, hit me almost as hard as losing director, John Hughes last year.

He had a long history of drug problems since his fame in his youth, but supposedly he was in recovery at the time of his death and had a couple movies on the horizon for his attempt at a comeback. The first reports said he died of a drug overdose, but then it was reported it might have been a complication from a more run of the mill illness that lead to congestive heart failure. Still very sad, no matter what happened.

Then later that weekend was Leah's 30th birthday party.

Happy Birthday, Leah!

I didn't go because I was dog-sitting, Pickles that weekend. Pickles is seriously the cutest Corgi ever!

So, that was my second week of March!

No comments: