Jeff and I have been dating for almost two years now and Monday was the first time I took him home to meet the parents.
It started out great. Jeff called about 20 minutes after he was supposed to be at my house and said he was getting gas and he was on his way. I expect Jeff to be late every time we do anything, so this wasn't unexpected and I was fine with it. I told him I was still getting ready so that was fine. Fast forward to an hour later and Jeff still wasn't at my house. Apparently, he thinks it takes me an hour to finish doing my make up. He went back to his house and finished up some other things at his house he needed to do. He didn't really need to do them, but decided he had time because I wasn't completely ready when he called. He still doesn't understand why I was so pissed when he was an hour and a half late.
So we are almost at my door getting ready to leave my apartment and Bogey follows us downstairs and wants to leave with us. I tell him "No" and Jeff says "Why not?", so we take Bogey with us in the car. I guess Jeff didn't listen to me when I had told him previously, that Bogey rides in the front seat. This happens even if someone is riding in the front passenger seat. So, Jeff was a surprised he had to ride with Bogey half on his lap. I set up the iTrip FM transmitter in my car so we can listen to my iPod on the way. I specifically downloaded some of Jeff's CD's so that he had something to listen to since we have different tastes in music. The trip is an hour and a half, he spent 30 minutes playing with my iPod, critisizing my music before finding something to listen to. That was 30 minutes of static on the radio because the FM transmitter can't be more than two inches away from the radio or it goes static-y.
We finally arrive in Springfield, drop off Bogey, give my parents the leftover birthday cake, the apple pie I made, the roses, the mums and the pumpkin from Jeff and do about 10 minutes of meet and greet with the parents before leaving them behind to go get lunch. Even though I had gone over with Jeff our schedule and that we would basically only be having dinner with my parents. He was still surprised when we didn't stay long and left without them.
We went to D'Arcy's Pint and had stuffed portabello mushrooms, boxty's, and horseshoes for lunch. Jeff wasn't hungry because he had already eaten during the hour he spent at his house after he said he was coming to my house, a few hours earlier. By the time we were done with lunch, it was around 3 pm. Our next destination was the Abraham Lincoln Presidential Musuem. It closes at 5 pm. So, we rushed there, rushed through the exhibits, saw one of the movies, missed the other one, and spent about 20 minutes in the gift shop.
Then we headed to the Lincoln Memorial. I wanted to get a picture of us rubbing Abe's nose and that is outside, so even if the memorial was closed, we should still be able to get the picture. Unfortunately, the memorial was mostly closed for renovation. Abe's bust was wrapped in blue tarp and behind a locked fence. The outside second floor to the memorial was closed for renovation. The inside of the memorial was closed because it was Monday and it closed at 5 pm, even if it hadn't been Monday. So we headed back to my parents house.
The nice part of the trip was my parents really seemed to like Jeff. One of the things I like about Jeff is that he is so easy to talk to. You feel like you've known him forever the moment you meet him. So, my parents and Jeff got along really well. For dinner we went to Gallina's and had pizza. Jeff and I were still stuffed from lunch, so we only had a slice of pizza, but it was good
Then we headed back to my parents house, picked up Bogey and returned to St. Louis... and another 30 minutes of static while Jeff played with the iPod until he gave up and we listened to a football game on AM radio for the rest of the way back.
No comments:
Post a Comment