Wednesday, June 4, 2008

I'm going to be adding a new member to the family!


No, I'm not pregnant. Shame on you for thinking that.


Jeff and I are adopting a dog from the Animal Shelter. His name is London and he's been there for two months. Obviously, it's a no kill shelter.



Tara found him online and sent me the link. We went to the shelter last weekend thinking that he and all his doggie friends were on death row. We went late in the day and it was super hot. London was just laying there and wouldn't even come to the cage to greet us or try to be taken home. I started crying because I felt bad for all these little puppies and cats that would just look at you with all this love and just beg you to take them home. Then as we were leaving, my sister was trying to tactfully ask how long London had to live, so that we would know how long we had to get him out. And the very nice lady behind the counter was like, "We don't put animals down unless it's for health or behaviour issues." So, needless to say I stopped crying and felt like an ass because I thought they were all going to die.

On Monday, Jeff and I headed back to the shelter to start the process of adopting London and a woman was turning in her dog. It was the cutest chocolate lab mix. That dog had so much energy, he was very inquisitive, very friendly. He just seemed like a great dog and when he got put in a cage and left. He looked around for a little bit like "Where'd ya go? Are you coming back? Ummm..... hey lady! Why am I left behind?" and then he started pawing the cage and getting upset and then I started crying again. It's been a very emotionally traumatic adoption process for me, and I don't even have possession of the dog yet.

London is getting fixed tomorrow and then he meets the cats. I hope the introduction goes well.

BAT UPDATE: I haven't seen the bat since last Thursday. The cats like playing in the plastic folgers can, though.

CUBS are currently tied and up 3 and a half games in the Central Division. YAYYY, CUBS!!

1 comment:

Stacia said...

Congrats on the new dog... and not being pregnant! ;)

My sister cried when we went to PAWS to find a cat for her (which is obviously a no-kill shelter because I think it stands for Pets Are Worth Saving!) She wanted to take them all home with her.

Good luck with the big meet-n-greet with the cats!