Tuesday, May 27, 2008

There is a bat in our apartment!

I've learned several new things today. First, bats make a hissing noise when you get too close, not a squeak like you would think. Second, if animal control is closed, you need to wait to the end of the recorded message to get the phone number for the police so they can dispatch an on-call animal contol person. Thirdly, taking four animals to the vet at one time can be very expensive. But now all our animals are up to date on their shots, so you can all rest easy. And fourth, having a bat in your apartment is a great excuse to get out of work, but you can only use it once. Otherwise you sound crazy.

So I started off my morning with Bogey coming upstairs and launching himself on my bed, followed by my sister (who didn't launch herself on my bed). Apparently, Birdie woke her up at 4:30 in the morning by jumping on top of her and all around her and knocking her stuff off of her dresser. As Tara was beginning to wake up to see what Birdie's problem was, she saw a flying creature that she assumed was a bat. She hit the ground and crawled into the living room where she stayed until 6 am, when she then called my mom and then animal control. Animal Control doesn't open until 8 am so we waited. They arrived around 9:30 am and tried to find the bat but my sister's room was too messy, so they gave up. The A.C. guy suggested we make sure our pets were vaccinated if the vet thought that was a good idea. When my mom called the vet they said the animals should be vaccinated if the A.C. guy thought it was a good idea. So we packed up the family and headed for our parent's vet in Springfield. Bogey is super freaked out by vet visits, so that's one of the main reasons we go there. They also have a great staff that have taken care of our pets above and beyond the call of duty.

We got to Springfield, dropped the animals off at my parents, and then headed to the vet to pick up Bogey's diazapan(sp?), and had lunch. Later, we fed Bogey his drugs (he gets a three dose size) in the afternoon and headed to the vets where the drugs apparently had no effect on Bogey at all. He was still shaking and freaking out and it took two grown women pinning him to the vet table while two vets worked to get blood for his heartworm test and give him his shots. Afterwards, he was calm as could be and had no hard feelings. He even ate the treats the vet gave him and he usually has no appetite when he's scared. The cats all co-operated and had excellent visits. Ichabod is 8 pounds, Baxter is 7 and Birdie is 10 pounds. She only gained a pound since her last visit which was 2 years ago.

We headed back to St. Louis, leaving Bogey at my parents to play with Luke and my mom and run in their yard. It was a quiet trip, the evening was quiet and just as I was about to turn off the computer and head to bed, I heard a noise. My turtle figurine had fallen to the ground and when I turned to look, I saw the bat! I had completely forgotten about that stupid bat! So even though I was tired, we stayed up for an hour waiting for the A.C. to show up. Steve was very nice, helpful, and friendly, but we couldn't find the bat.

So now it's one in the morning and I have a plastic Folger's can and I'm waiting once again to see a bat.

Whoop. T. Freakin. Do.

No comments: