Friday, May 14, 2010

Mother's Day and a weird dream or two

I was waiting to post my Mother's Day weekend recap until I could find the cord to download the pictures I took over Mother's Day, but it's still in a box and I haven't located it or my iPod cord. But I guess the fact that I found my camera before Mother's Day is a victory. Plus, since I didn't actually take any pictures of the family, only the pets, I decided I didn't need to wait any longer.

So, my sister drove home Thursday night with her dog, Bogey. She and my mom did a mini shopping trip where the most exciting purchases were from Barnes and Nobel and then took my mom's dog, Dora to the vet for annual shots and a general check up. Dora is perfectly healthy, but is a little scared of the vets office. She's normally the friendliest dog you'll ever meet, to both human and animals, and incredibly curious of everything, but she whimpered and stayed close to my mom and my sister while waiting for her appointment. Poor thing. I showed up Friday night, but was super tired, so I went to bed early. My parents have satellite TV but it's not connected to the back bedrooms where my sister and I sleep when we visit. They never got the digital TV boxes that you were supposed to get when they did the big TV changeover for the free channels a few years ago, so it's VHS tapes and DVD's for my sister and me when we visit. Friday night, I put in and fell asleep to "Anchorman". I swear that movie gets funnier ever time I see it. Saturday, I watched "Anchorman" again, "Crazy Heart", "Sliding Doors" and "Scream 3". "Crazy Heart" was pretty good. Not particularly exciting. It had Maggie Gyllenhaal and Jeff Bridges, who did a great job, but I was most excited to see Colin Farrell. I haven't seen him in any movies in a while and I realized I miss him. I hope to see more of his work soon.

On Saturday, it was too cold to do anything. We had lunch at Gallina's and dinner at The Jolly Tamale. I love to eat at both those places. They aren't fancy by any means, but I've never had a bad meal at either place. My sister had to go home Saturday afternoon for a trivia night in St. Louis, but she left Bogey behind for me to take back on Sunday.

Sunday morning (Mother's Day), we went to breakfast at "The Lighthouse". I love their breakfast and it's very inexpensive. Breakfast for 3 was @$20 and you left full. Then we went and bought plants. I don't have any land for a garden and I get bored watering potted plants about half way through the summer, but I just love going and picking them out at the beginning of the season. I like herbs and vegetables better than flowers, but it's just fun, no matter what you buy. I drove back to St. Louis after that. Bogey was pretty tired and went to sleep as soon as we got on the highway. Gas was $2.87 in Springfield and I was hoping to get back into Missouri before filling up because it's cheaper in Missouri, but I had to stop for gas just before the bridge. It was $2.89. That just pissed me off. (BTW, when I got back to Missouri, the gas was $2.78. So I was even more bitter about the gas.) As Bogey and I were driving away from the station, there was a young hitchhiker with a puppy. The dog seemed to be limping a little, like his pads were getting raw because he was walking on all those rocks along the sides of roads and I thought about stopping and picking him and the dog up because he looked like he was heading in the same direction I was, but my sister is very adamant about not picking up hitchhikers because you have no idea what they are capable of and I could hear her in my head telling me, "Don't do it!", but I had Bogey with me and that little dog was so sad. (The bad thing is, if it was just the hitchhiker without the dog I wouldn't have thought twice about driving right by him.) So, I left them both and didn't stop and I still feel bad about it. And then, later this week, a homeless guy was begging for money near a stop light I take to go home from work and I didn't give him any money because safety experts say that someone could just reach inside your car and snatch your wallet out of your hands and run and there's nothing you could do about it. And a homeless guy came to a church I went to and gave a speech about homeless people and he said you should give directly to a charity if you want to help the homeless because handing people money on the street doesn't really help them and it puts you in danger. So that was two opportunities this week, that I could have helped my fellow man and I didn't do it. I kinda feel like God was testing me to see how open my heart was and I failed him.

So, these are my two weird dreams I had last week. Sunday night, I dreamt I was pregnant, but I wasn't showing, I hadn't taken a test and was having no symptoms. I just somehow knew I was pregnant. (I'm not, in case you are wondering.) My other weird dream was last night. I watch The Real Housewives series on Bravo. Yes, I know that's terrible and I wish I didn't. Those woman are terrible and horrible to each other, and some of them may actually be clinically crazy, but I still watch it like it's a car wreck and I can't seem to just turn the channel and not watch it. Anyway, I watched a New York episode before I went to sleep and I dreamt I was a member of one of their casts. I don't know what city, but I was like Bethenny, in that, I didn't have a rich husband or a rich upbringing, but I made my money using my talents and I was still in the process of building up, not yet an established entrepreneur. I had made my money from taking photographs and some of my pictures had sold as art pieces for a lot of my money. Anyway, we were throwing a party for one of the other cast members and we were introduced to the family who ran Kentucky Fried Chicken. (I don't think this makes sense in real life because I thought Kentucky Fried Chicken was owned and run by Pepsico, but I could be wrong.) Anyway, blah blah blah happened and during the evening I met a guy that owned the house we were going to be having another party at and when we were discussing the arrangements we were kind of butting heads, but not in a totally "I hate you" way. At that time in the dream I had this eyeball on a key chain that I needed to give back to someone. It wasn't a real eyeball, just an artistic reproduction. So, a few days later, I returned to the house, we were going to finalize the arrangements for the party, and I was looking for that guy but only members of his entourage were around and while I was waiting for them to find him, I saw a handwritten sign posted in the house that said something like: "Looking for Crystal, don't know her last name. She has something with her that looks like this (and then it had a drawing of my eyeball key chain). She is very stressful to be around, but very nice. Please contact me if you find her." And then I was all flattered in my dream that maybe he might like me. And then I woke up.

That's it. Hopefully I'll find that computer cord and upload some pictures soon.

No comments: