Saturday, My sister and I went to the Borders in Sunset Hills for a book signing. My favorite St. Louis Post Dispatch columnist (Suburban Fringe) was signing his new self-published book "The Cat Ate My Nachos". It was supposed to be from 2-4 and we got there around 3, and his books were already sold out. The Borders sales person said she thought it was a new record for the store location. The author, Bob Rybarczyk , was still there even though the books were gone and he signed my sister's copy of his other book "Acoustic Kitty". We may have accidentally insulted him while discussing "Acoustic Kitty" with him. It's a great book with a interesting storyline and characters, but the main storyline involves animal testing and there are a few gruesome cat deaths in the book, so it was hard to dance around that topic and being honest without criticizing the book.
Then I went home and watched, "Lions and Lambs" (interesting, but didn't blow me away), "Taking Chance" (It was an hour and a half and I cried for an hour and 29 minutes), and "The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian" (fun, as good as the previous one).
Sunday, I went to church with my sister. It was a Christian Mega Church and was an interesting experience. It started out nice and normal. There was a full band playing Christian Rock, a nice size choir, etc and we started singing to begin the service. This went on for about 20 minutes with a lot of ad-libbing, as part of the song, by the choir director. Then the pastor interrupted the singing because he had been inspired by the music and then went into a mini-sermon, then there was a mixture of songs and the pastor being inspired to heal people's emotional pains or rather calling on the miracle atmosphere that was created by the songs so that the angels could walk amongst us and heal the pain, and this went on for an hour and a half, with everyone standing the entire time, before my sister and I snuck out of there. I've never left a church service early like that, and I feel bad about it, especially because the majority of the people there seemed to be genuinely enthusiastic and whole hearted in what was going on, but as we were leaving, I'm pretty sure the associate pastor started "speaking in tongues" and that was enough for me.
Then I came home and watched "Gone Baby Gone" (Amazing movie, love Casey Affleck, totally deserved Oscar nominations, can't recommend it enough), before getting ready for my date. Jeff showed up, we went to Target to pick up my Valentine's Day gift, then dinner at El Maguey before going to see "Wolfman" (enjoyed it while I was watching it, thought it was stupid when I started thinking about it again later.). Then came home and set up my V-Day gift. It took an hour and a half. Would have taken 5 minutes if we had known to just turn it to Channel 3.
No comments:
Post a Comment