Recently, I read on article on cnn.com dedicated to why everyone should say “No!” to Valentine’s Day. It’s been a while since an article on such a stupid topic has pissed me off so much. I’ve spent 90% of my Valentine’s Day’s single in my life and I love this holiday. Get some proper perspective on the holiday, people! So, here’s my rebuttal:
1. Valentine’s Day is a holiday about love, not who you are getting laid by or who you want to be laid by. When I was in grade school, we would decorate shoe boxes for Valentine’s Day. Our parents would purchase those cheap tacky valentines and we would give one to everyone in our class whether we liked the kid or not. Our teachers were not prepping us to have sex with everyone in the room. They were trying to teach us to have love and appreciation for everyone, not just the people we like in this world. Everyone has something to offer and something to be appreciated for in this world. Even the stinky creepy kid. And while, we may not have provided the valentines with the utmost sincerity, at least we made the effort. Too many humans just don’t make the effort in today’s world.
2. There are a variety of ways to love, not just love for who you are having sex with. There is love for your parents, love for your friends, love for your kids, love for your pets, etc. I’ve enjoyed this holiday because I’ve used it as an opportunity to send cards or buy candy or create little surprises for my friends, my sister, my parents, etc. Granted, I’ve got great people in my life, so my little gifts go over well because they aren’t expecting them. If you’ve got whiny materialistic friends and family, this may not go over as well.
3. In the article that pissed me off, the author was a guy and griped about this holiday only being about gifts for the female. What an asshole! What’s wrong with giving a gift and not expecting anything in return? I’m sorry you are so materialistic and selfish that you are only going to do something if it benefits you in the end. Plus, that’s once again your fault because you choose to date/marry selfish women. I do buy my boyfriend a gift and so do my female friends and family. It’s a lot harder finding something for a guy on Valentine’s Day than it is for a girl. You can’t buy a guy candy and flowers and they could give a crap about cards.
4. The argument that Valentine’s Day was created by card companies is an outright lie. And I’m asking that the next time you hear this lie, slap the idiot who says it in the back of the head. Even the laziest person can Google Valentine’s Day and find out that Valentine’s Day has been celebrated since Ancient Roman times. It may have been created by card companies in Ancient Rome, but somehow I doubt that.
5. Speaking of people to smack around, please smack anyone you hear saying Valentine’s Day should be called “Single Awareness Day” or anyone crying because they aren’t dating anyone of this one particular day of the year. You are a loser! You choose to do this to yourself, not society, not the card companies, not anyone but you. Who cares if you are single on Valentine’s Day and no one is buying you a card? You probably have love somewhere if your life (see #2). Be glad you aren’t in a physically or emotionally abusive relationship because you are too scared to be alone. Celebrate your strength for keeping your options open, allowing your one true love to come into your life. Be grateful for the life you live, not sad about the fantasy life you want. Life is constantly changing, enjoy where you are today because you won’t be there tomorrow.
6. Yes, Valentine’s Day has become over-commercialized. Just like Thanksgiving, Halloween, Christmas, the 4th of July and the Superbowl. Should we dump these holidays too?
7. I love the argument, “I love and appreciate (fill in the blank) everyday. Why do I need to be told a special day to let them know this, when I do it every day?” Usually, the person saying this doesn’t show love and appreciation every day and the thought of doing it even one day is more effort than they want to put into their relationship. But lets’ say the person making this argument isn’t full of shit and does actually show their love every day, I love my country every day, but that’s not going to stop me from celebrating the 4th of July. I’m thankful every day for what the Lord provides me, but I’m still going to celebrate Thanksgiving. Just because you do something every day, doesn’t mean taking a day to shine a little more focus on something is bad or pointless.
8. In the end, Valentine’s Day is what you make it. If you want to ignore it and go about your life, do it! If you want to spend your mortgage payment celebrating it, do it! If you want to celebrate it a week earlier or a week later, do it! It may be trickier if you are in a relationship and one person hates the holiday and the other person loves it. (On a side note: I would urge the hater to compromise more than they want to. I know it’s not fair, but isn’t seeing the v-day lover smiling worth your resentment over giving in to this ridiculous holiday that the card companies created? Don’t be fooled that their silent resentment over the annual snub won’t someday come back to bite you in the ass. You may think you won, but you only won the battle. You’ll lose the war.)
So, to sum it up. Valentine's Day is just one day a year. It's an opportunity, not a problem. There is no law you have to celebrate it, so don't be a whiny bitch to the rest of us because it's not your cup of tea.
Thank you and Good Night.
No comments:
Post a Comment