So, I spent Labor Day weekend hanging out with her and her family before she goes.
I was late getting to the airport to leave because my sister bought a new car and it took longer to tie up the paperwork than we planned. I think I checked my bag with less than 20 minutes before my flight and still had to get through security. Luckily, everything went smoothly and when I got to the gate everyone had already boarded. I had to sit in a middle seat, but that was okay because the flight was only 45 minutes (The landing was not so smooth. Probably the worst I've ever experienced, but we all landed alive and unhurt).
Summer picked me up and we headed to Applebee's for lunch before continuing our journey to Fort Riley. When Summer and I were in college we would go to Applebee's for their after 10 pm Happy Hour specials, so that place always reminds me of her and Lindenwood. After we got to her house, we hung out for awhile and then went shopping at Target before getting dinner at Panera Bread. Her house rocks, but my favorite room was the mini theatre in their basement. There was a pull down screen and projection system with surround sound and reclining comfy chairs. While at Target we picked up a bunch of movies, so Friday night we watched "Daybreakers". I'm going to have to say I liked it even though is was a little gory. I don't know why I liked it. I can't pick out anything that I would say was good about it, but I liked it.
On Saturday we had lunch at Chili's and then went to The Sunset Zoo. They had a new baby chimpanzee. Apparently, chimpanzee's usually live to about 60 in captivity. The baby was born to a 56 year old mom. They took her off her birth control for medical reasons and they thought she was too old to have babies, but they were wrong. I felt a little sorry for the mom, though. Chimp babies can't grab on to their moms until about 3 or 4 weeks, so until then the mom has to carry her baby. Since they use all 4 limbs to walk, she was having a little trouble walking with her baby since she was so old and already stiffening up with old age. But I guess she's an inspiration to any old lady who still wants to have kids.
This is the otter who started freaking out for someone reason and trying to escape his cage when he saw me. I think he was in love with me.
Summer made some delicious Chicken Parmigiana for dinner and then we watched "Zombieland" that night and I had already seen it, but I really like that movie, so I enjoyed seeing it again. We also watched "The Back-Up Plan" with Jennifer Lopez. Better than I thought it would be, but not great.
On Sunday, we went to the mall and had lunch at Carlos O'Kelly's. Summer's daughter wanted to get her ears pierced, so we went to Claire's and we thought her daughter was going to cry and freak out, but she was so calm and such a good girl. She jerked in surprise as the ear guns went off, but then she just took a few deep breathes and was fine.
This is Catie letting her mom do her hair in the morning and then later when she got her ears pierced.
We hung out more at her house in the afternoon and we tried on Summer's deployment gear. This is Joey playing dress up in his mom's clothes. (Just teasing, Joe.)
We had Papa Murphy's for dinner. Then we watched "Mulan", Summer's favorite Disney princess movie, and then "City Island". I had never seen Mulan, but that is a really good movie. City Island was different, but I still liked it. I'm not sure I'd recommend it, but it was still good.
On Monday, we drove back to Kansas City to drop me off at the airport again. We had lunch at McDonald's and when we got to Kansas City we went to The Legends Shopping Center. We played for awhile at Dave and Buster's.
And then visited the place that's like The Rainforest Cafe, but is about dinosaurs instead of the rainforest. It even had a "Build-a-Dino" instead of a "Build-a Bear". Very cute.
Before we left, we got some ice cream from Stone Cold Creamery and then headed for the airport. I was a late check-in. The alarms went off again as I checked my bag. When I got to my gate, they had already started boarding, but I made it just in time to get in line for my boarding group. I still had to sit in a middle seat, but at least my bags made it on the plane even though I checked them late. I got safely back to St. Louis and made it home before my friend finished driving back to Fort Riley from the airport.
It was nice seeing Summer again. I should have visited before now. I can't wait until she gets back safely again and she comes to visit me in St. Louis.
No comments:
Post a Comment